British holidaymakers nearly killed on Jet2 girls’ trip to Kavos when air con unit sparks blaze 

A group of three girls are lucky to be alive after the air conditioning unit in their hotel room caught fire – making them fear for their lives.

As part of a Jet2 package holiday, Alycia McNamara, Megan Kennedy and Faye Turberville, all 21 years old from Birmingham, headed off to Kavos, Greece for their summer holidays. 

On their first night one of the girls noticed a fault with the AC – and reported it twice to the hotel.

However, after no action had been taken, four days later in the early hours of August 8, the machine caught ablaze.

Pictured: Faye (left) and Alycia (right) are lucky to be alive after the air conditioning unit in their hotel room caught fire

As part of a Jet2 package holiday the girls travelled to Kavos, Greece for their summer holidays

As part of a Jet2 package holiday the girls travelled to Kavos, Greece for their summer holidays

‘We were all sound asleep when Megan woke us up, shouting ‘Fire! Fire! Get out now! Fire! Fire!”, Ms McNamara said.

She continued: ‘I looked over at the AC and it was glowing red and orange. Suddenly I just saw a spark drop.

‘We ran out of bed and went to the door, but I was panicking so much that I couldn’t get the key in the door to unlock it. 

‘Sparks were dropping around us as we finally got out the room.’

On their first night one of the girls noticed a fault with the AC and reported it twice to the hotel

On their first night one of the girls noticed a fault with the AC and reported it twice to the hotel

However, after no action had been taken, four days later in the early hours of August 8, the machine caught ablaze

However, after no action had been taken, four days later in the early hours of August 8, the machine caught ablaze

The girls were panicking so much they struggled to open the door to escape

They were awoken by a bright spark which developed into a red and orange blaze

According to Ms McNamara, the fire alarm had not gone off automatically, so she rushed to manually set it off herself

Ms McNamara (pictured) ran to reception to call for help after no fire alarm went off

Ms McNamara (pictured) ran to reception to call for help after no fire alarm went off

According to Ms McNamara, the fire alarm had not gone off automatically, so she rushed to manually set it off herself.

She said: ‘I pressed it about three times before I just started hitting and punching it to make it work. 

‘Faye then shut the door because in the space of 20 seconds it was getting worse and worse.’ 

Ms McNamara said that after a few minutes when nobody had arrived to help, she ran to reception to call for help. 

When she got there however, they said that they were unaware that an alarm had been sounded. 

‘When they finally understood what I was trying to say, four maids ran back to the room with me’, Ms McNamara said.

‘By the time we got back, less than a couple of minutes later, black smoke was billowing from the building.

‘One maid grabbed the fire extinguisher and took her top off to use as a face cover. She just went in and extinguished the whole thing on her own’, she said.

‘We were all crying when the manager came, saying ‘I told you something wasn’t right’. We knew there was an issue but they just didn’t listen to us the whole time.’ 

When Ms McNamara got to reception they were unaware that an alarm had gone off

When Ms McNamara got to reception they were unaware that an alarm had gone off

After the fire, the hotel staff went into the hotel room to retrieve the girls' belongings - all either burned or covered in ash

After the fire, the hotel staff went into the hotel room to retrieve the girls’ belongings – all either burned or covered in ash

Ms McNamara said that a Jet2 rep had come to visit the girls in Kavos after the fire to help them move to a different hotel, however none were available

Ms McNamara said that a Jet2 rep had come to visit the girls in Kavos after the fire to help them move to a different hotel, however none were available

In total, the package holiday cost the girls £1941 and they have not yet received any compensation

In total, the package holiday cost the girls £1941 and they have not yet received any compensation

After the fire, the hotel staff went into the hotel room to retrieve the girls’ belongings – all either burned or covered in ash.

‘It was terrifying and we are so lucky to be alive’, Ms McNamara said. 

On the support from Jet2, she added: ‘Jet2 have not provided us with any form of compensation for the disaster and we will be making a formal complaint as this could have turned out fatal in seconds more! 

‘We booked with them for safety as we know they are a reputable company and thought an incident like this wouldn’t happen. 

‘We are hoping to hear back from them as an investigation has been launched but we are incredibly disappointed with the lack of support they gave us considering the severity of the issue.’

Ms McNamara said that a Jet2 rep had come to visit the girls in Kavos after the fire to help them move to a different hotel. However none were available.

Instead, the girls were then moved to another room – this one without a smoke alarm. 

In total, the package holiday cost the girls £1941.

A Jet2 spokesperson said: ‘We are sorry to hear about this experience and for any upset caused. 

Our teams supported Ms McNamara, after a small fire broke out which was limited to the air conditioning unit. 

This included assisting her in moving rooms, offering medical assistance and completing regular welfare checks. 

The health and safety of our customers will always be our number one priority and following a thorough investigation, we can confirm that the hotel fully complies with local health and safety requirements.’ 

Leave a Comment